Kingspan White Tape – High Strength, Flexibility, Conformability
Kingspan’s aluminium tape in the white variety is a fire retardant reinforced aluminium foil tape providing a vapour seal join in aluminium faced insulation products. It is particularly well suited to Kingspan Insulwhite. Designed for use in the insulation and air-conditioning industries, Kingspan Tape Aluminium Foil (White) is pressure-sensitive for excellent adhesion and has early fire hazard properties. The nature of the backing gives Kingspan Tape a rare combination of high strength, flexibility and conformability.
- Install the Kingspan Insulation products taut and without significant sag or ‘slack’.
- Use a minimum 72 mm (for commercial and retrofit buildings) or 48 mm (for residential buildings) wide reinforced foil tape for sealing joins.
- Check that the surface to which the tape is to be adhered is free from any contamination such as dust, dirt, oil or silicones. If in doubt, clean surface with a clean rag andmineral turpentine, and wait until dry before applying.
- Make sure that the tape is centred on the join so that there is equal coverage on either side of the join.
- Use a plastic squeegee or blade to apply adequate pressure to the aluminium tape – the more surface contact is achieved the better the result.
- Follow the contours of the substrate. Avoid pulling the tape taught or try to flatten the contours out with the tape. Allow the Kingspan tape to conform to the irregularities of thesurface, then rub down. When the tape has been applied with adequate pressure it should be seen to follow the contours of the insulation and the texture of the insulation facing should be visible through the tape.
- When sealing angled joints in longitudinal direction, apply the tape in short sections to one side of the join. Using a blade or squeegee, rub it down as far as possible into the corner and then apply to the other side of the join.
General advice for applying Kingspan Thermal Insulation Tape
Taping of joins in Kingspan Insulation products is a means of sealing the join only and is not intended to replace a mechanical fixing where there may be stress or pressure on the join. Where thereis stress or pressure on the join e.g. wind loading, a more secure means of securing the join must be investigated. Where it is difficult to apply sufficient pressure on the tape, apply a 25 cm long piece of tape across the join at 1.0 m spacing. Where possible, the length of the tape used should not only cover the length of the join, but continue around the next edge to provide an ‘anchor point’.If possible, arrange joins adjacent to a hard unyielding backing surface so that maximum pressure can be achieved when applying the tape.
When taping Kingspan Insulation products, a plastic squeegee or blade must be used to apply suitable pressure to the tape. Apply pressure as the aluminium foil tape is being rolled out, rather than after the application, to achieve maximum adhesion, following the surface contours of the Kingspan Insulation products. Don’t flatten the contours out with the foil insulation tape. Care should also be taken to ensure that the material joined by the tape is not liable or subject to movement. Movement of the two surfaces joined by the tape can create excessive pressure on the join and can lead to tape failure. These tapes are not to be used as mechanical joining devices.For complete information on the extensive range of products available from Kingspan Insulation, visit their website.